A healthy vegetarian diet includes a wide variety of foods from all the food groups. Be creative in planning menus and trying new foods. Here are some healthful, vegetarian meal ideas to get you started.
- Instant oatmeal made with low-fat or fat-free milk* with nuts and dried cranberries
- Low-fat yogurt layered with crunchy cereal and blueberries for a breakfast parfait
- Spread almond butter on a whole-grain toasted bagel and top with apple slices.
- Vegetable sandwich: Sliced tomato, pepper, onion, avocado (with or without cheese*) stuffed in a whole-grain pita
- Main dish salad with your choice of vegetables, beans or tofu, fruit and nuts.
- Vegetable burger or falafel with cheese*, mushrooms and tomato on a whole-grain bun
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole-wheat bread with carrot and celery sticks
- Chili made with beans and textured vegetable protein plus shredded cheese* and cornbread
- Tofu and vegetable stir-fry with brown rice
- Whole-grain pasta with tomato sauce plus vegetables (mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and onions)
- Tacos or burritos filled with beans, textured vegetable protein, tofu or tempeh
- Pizza with or without cheese* and topped with vegetables and tofu or meat substitute
- Trail mix
- Low-fat or fat-free yogurt*
- Smoothie made with low-fat milk, frozen berries and a banana
- Hummus and pita wedges
- Bagel with nut butter
- Tomato soup and whole-grain crackers
*Soymilk, soy cheese and yogurt if vegan