...from the publication: Eat Right Weekly - April 11
« Back To Eat Right Weekly - April 11
Call for Applications: Journal Editor-in-Chief
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is issuing a call for interested applicants for the position of Editor-in-Chief of its flagship scientific journal. The contract position begins in April 2013. Applications must be postmarked no later than June 30.
Overall Purpose and Responsibility:
The position of Editor-In-Chief provides strategic direction and leadership for the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics by working with authors, researchers, leaders, members and staff to continuously enhance the quality and prestige of Academy's peer-reviewed journal. The Editor-in-Chief has overall responsibility for the scientific and editorial integrity of the Journal's Research "Well." The Editor-in-Chief ensures that the Journal maintains its status as the premier publication in the world for food, nutrition and dietetics by interpreting and applying science related to all facets of dietetic practice such as nutrition, food, business, education, behavioral, etc. The Editor-in-Chief increases the visibility of and creates a positive image for the Journal by representing the Academy in a variety of settings and by developing strong networks with health, scientific and research organizations and communities. The Editor-in-Chief is the final arbiter regarding acceptance or rejection of manuscripts submitted for publication in the Research Well, minimizing personal bias in order to guide the further development of the Journal. This position is an independent contractor.
The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for the Research section of the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, also referred to as the Research Well. This includes peer-reviewed research where original research such as randomized controlled trials, intervention studies, cohort studies, case-control studies, epidemiologic assessments; other qualitative studies such as observational surveys with high response rates, cost-effectiveness analyses, operational analysis, decision analyses; and studies of screening and diagnostic tests are published.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Solicit and select individuals for vacant Board of Editors positions, with sensitivity to represent the diverse areas of dietetics practice and to the scientific and practice aspects of the profession.
- Ensure timely, unbiased and efficient function of the Research Well editorial process.
- Ensure that submitted research manuscripts are rapidly and justly appraised for scientific merit by monitoring the work of the Board of Editors.
- Ensure through consulting services of a qualified biostatistician the statistical accuracy of the research design and tabular material for all submitted articles.
- Develop collaborative relationships with Journal staff, the publisher, Academy teams, Board of Directors and other leaders and members to ensure timely outcomes.
- Shape the Journal's Research section to promote excellence and support the mission, vision and philosophy of the Academy.
- Work to maintain and enhance Journal metrics, such as the Impact Factor.
- Supervise the off-site editorial office.
- Provide oversight and guidance to the Board of Editors, including reviewing recommendations for acceptance of research manuscripts.
- Handle all correspondence with Research authors regarding acceptance, revision or rejection.
- Assign responsibility for peer review of all Research section contributions to the Journal.
- Make Research article selection decisions based upon the reviews and votes of the Board of Editors and other reviewers. Arbitrate contested recommendations and make the final decision in unresolved cases of acceptance or rejection.
- Work with the Academy to identify potential Guest Editors for Journal Research supplements.
- Receive all material for the "Letters to the Editor" section and be responsible for their editorial review and acceptance, working with the Qualitative Research Editor or the Editorial Director on those letters referencing the Practice Application and/or Qualitative Research sections.
- Encourage and facilitate editorial policies consistent with the Academy's Strategic Plan.
- Advocate for the Journal, developing collaborative relationships in the dietetics community to solicit original, cutting-edge research-based articles to advance the profession.
- Provide strong leadership to enable the Academy to achieve its goal of producing a top notch food and nutrition publication with articles that provide the research behind the profession.
- Plan each issue of the Journal in conjunction with the Editorial Director to ensure the quality of the final assembled publication.
- Retain and collaborate with the Associate Editors for Research and Qualitative Research in the development of their respective sections of the Journal in order to fulfill the purpose of the Journal and to meet the needs of Academy member readers and prospective readers.
- Work with the Associate Editors and the Editorial Director to develop the agenda for the annual Board of Editors meeting.
- Contribute to the editorial content of the Journal by writing the monthly Editor's Outlook.
- By January 1 of each year, in conjunction with the Qualitative and/or Research Editors and Editorial Director, produce a written report to the chief executive officer and Board of Directors regarding the activities of and outcomes related to the Journal for the past year.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Education: Candidates for this position must be a registered dietitian and have earned a doctoral degree in clinical dietetics, food and nutrition, nutrition science, food science, business science, education, food systems management or a related area.
- Experience: Candidates must have at least ten years related experience with scientific publications, research, an academic appointment and recent work in dietetics. Experience in writing, reviewing and editing is required. The candidate must have strong networks with health, scientific and research organizations and communities. Related experience in professional or trade societies/associations and/or government agencies is desirable. Print media experience is highly desirable.
Candidates must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, evaluate scholarly research, an academic-appointed and determine the value of manuscripts and maintain objectivity in professional relationships. Candidates should have experience with peer-reviewed journals, be able to elicit support from the scientific and practice communities and be able to represent the Academy in a wide variety of settings. As his/her schedule allows, the Editor-in-Chief must be able to travel in order to represent the Academy as requested by the chief executive officer or his/her designate. The Editor-in-Chief must be able to work with diverse opinions and viewpoints in managing and utilizing the Board of Editors. The Editor-in-Chief must be able to minimize personal bias in the evaluation and selection of manuscripts and in guiding the further development of the Journal. Candidates must have the ability to interpret and apply food and nutrition science.
Those wishing to apply should send a curriculum vitae, vision statement and samples of writing and research publications to:
Jennifer Herendeen, Editorial Director
email@example.com (Subject line: Editor in Chief Appointment)
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 South Riverside Plaza, Ste. 2000
Chicago, IL 60606
« Back To Eat Right Weekly - April 11