Phyllis Fatzinger McShane, MS, RD, LDN,
Erica Gavey, Christina Kalafsky, DoYoung Stacy Kim, and Christine Spahn,
University of Maryland Dietetic Interns
University of Maryland College Park dietetic
interns had the opportunity to attend Health
IT 101 Basic Training, a lecture sponsored by the e-Health Initiative and the
Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society during National Health IT
Week August 16-20, 2013, in Washington, DC.
A huge number of health information
technology (IT) acronyms were used that many of the attendees had never heard
before. The undergraduate dietetics students have had little exposure to what
is changing in health care as a consequence of the Health Information
Technology Act (HITECH) of 2009. Their programs had not discussed HITECH in detail,
so much of this was new to them. They also were not very familiar with the
Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program to
encourage acute care hospitals to switch to EHRs.
Eight speakers each had 15 to 20
minutes to cover updates in their areas, which included the Value of Health IT,
Health System Transformation, Managing Big Data, Health Information Exchange (HIE),
Quality Care, HITECH Privacy/ Security, International Classification of
Diseases (ICD)-10 Implementation, and Interoperability (implications with
standards development). The students again heard new acronyms, creating a
barrier to full understanding, but they definitely left the room with key
Advancing HIE: Perspectives from the
By Laura McCrary, EdD
had the privilege of seeing HIE in action. A 10-minute video provided a good
understanding of how to use the software. These programs are easy and provide
privacy through the “opt-out” option.
only 40% of referrals made by doctors are to other doctors. The remaining 60%
are to other services that are necessary to include in the HIE through an
online portal. Even in a state-of-the-art IT system (like Kansas), it is
possible to find areas of improvement. These three main areas are unique
patient identifiers, interoperability standards, and voluntary HIE
certification focused on Stage 3 of Meaningful Use (MU3) measures.
ICD-10 Industry Update
By Tori Sullivan, MHA, RHIA, PMP
for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) mandate for implementation of
ICD-10 coding by October 1, 2014, will hold. On this date, the ICD-10 code sets
will replace the ICD-9 code sets currently used to report medical diagnoses and
inpatient procedures. CMS also is urging industry to communicate with patients
on ICD-10 changes. These changes may alter the diagnosis language that patients
are used to seeing.
Health IT and Health System
By Patricia MacTaggart, MBA, MMA
into health IT is a journey, not a destination. Health IT is a tool to lead to better health, lower
costs, and better care. Some of the challenges across IT systems include
interoperability, privacy, keeping up with the pace of change, cost, valid
data, and data analytics capability, just to name a few.
The Omnibus Rule: A Review
By Diane Warner, MS, RHIA, CHPS,
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) Omnibus Rule becomes
enforceable on September 23, 2013. This act strengthens and protects patients’
privacy rights and access to their health medical records.
significant change to HIPPA is that business associates need their own written
HIPPA agreements with any subcontractors that handle private health records. Patients
now have the ability to request a copy of their EHR in an electronic format. When
patients chose to pay for their treatment with cash, they have the option of
having their health care provider not share details or any information about
their treatment to their health insurance provider.
dietetic interns left the room with their heads spinning from the large number
of acronyms, and from a glimpse at the complexity of the “world of Informatics.”
Everyone is looking forward to the new Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ EHR Toolkit,
scheduled for release at the Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo, because
hopefully it will contain the basic information that all interns will need to begin
to understand this very complex important area that will impact their future
Presentation PowerPoint® slides are available