Peaches and nectarines can be found from May until September in most regions of the United States, although the peak months for nectarines are July and August. To enjoy peaches and nectarines at their best, use the following guidelines:
- Select fruits that yield to slight pressure.
- Check fruits carefully for bruises and soft spots.
- Select fruits with rich yellow background color. If fruit is green, especially near the stem, it is not ripe.
- To ripen peaches and nectarines, let them sit at room temperature for two to three days. Peaches may be placed in a paper bag with an apple to enhance ripening.
- Refrigerate only after ripe. Refrigerated peaches and nectarines will not ripen further.