Labor Day is a perfect time for a picnic in the park. If you're heading outdoors, follow these tips to plan a healthy picnic.
For a change from hot dogs and burgers, have:
- Turkey or chicken breast sandwiches
- Hummus and whole-wheat pita bread
- A green salad topped with grilled chicken
- Veggie or portabella mushroom burgers
- Assorted cheeses, fruit and crackers
- Fruit and angel food cake for dessert
Keep foods safe by keeping perishables like meat, fish, poultry and cheese chilled below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. After the meal has been served, chill all perishable leftovers within two hours. For more tips on reducing your risk of food poisoning, visit www.homefoodsafety.org.
For more tips on quick, healthy meals during any day of the week, consult a registered dietitian.