It's fitting to celebrate the watermelon, since no summer gathering is complete without it. In addition to being a tasty treat, watermelon is a good source of vitamins A and C and contains lycopene, fiber and potassium. It's also more than 90 percent water, so it can help you stay hydrated on hot days too.
Try a new twist on an old favorite with these ideas:
- Caramelize watermelon slices on the grill, then drizzle with honey, lime and a pinch of salt.
- Pair with shrimp on a kabob.
- Carve out a watermelon to use as a bowl and fill with fruit salad.
- Use watermelon in place of tomatoes in a citrus salsa.
- Use its juice as a glaze on shrimp or pork.
Of course, watermelon is also a crowd-pleaser "as is." Slice it up and you have an instant appetizer, side dish or dessert.