Plan ahead. Decide what you will be eating, and how you are going to cook it. Then, plan what equipment you will need.
- Pack safely. Use coolers if boating or car-camping, or pack foods frozen with a cold source if hiking or backpacking.
- Keep raw foods separate from other foods.
- Never bring meat or poultry products without a cold source.
- Bring disposable wipes or biodegradable soap for hand- and dishwashing.
- Carry bottled water for drinking. Otherwise, boil water or use water purification tablets.
- Never leave trash; always pack up what you take with you.
- When using a cooler, leftover food is safe only if the cooler still has ice in it. Otherwise, discard leftovers.
- Wash hands before and after eating when in the wild or on the water.