What's for lunch or dinner? Why not pack a picnic cooler ahead of time for that 4th of July family outing? Here are some tips to get you ready:
- Keep clean. Bring hand wipes or sanitizer, a clean tablecloth, and separate utensils for preparing and for eating.
- Keep cold food cold. If perishable (meat, poultry, fish, eggs, mayonnaise), keep your food in a chilled cooler. Don't store your cooler in a hot car.
- Keep bug free: Put food in well-sealed containers.
This summer, remember to make your picnic simple, safe, and savory.
- Go vegetarian: a hearty salad (beans, cooked rice or pasta, and chopped vegetables, tossed with an herb vinaigrette), peach or mango, and breadsticks.
- Keep it easy: several cheeses, hearty whole-grain bread, grapes and berries, zucchini sticks, and calamata olives.
- Remember drinks: juice or water, perhaps frozen ahead to stay cold as they melt.