For a "great grain" breakfast, add flavor and nutrition to cooked cereals (instant or not), such as oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits, brown rice or whole-grain couscous.
- Use fruit juice — apple, orange or other 100-percent juice — or low-fat or fat-free milk as the cooking liquid.
- To cook cereal, blend in grated cheese, chopped fruit (apple, peach, banana, kiwifruit), dried fruit (chopped apricots, papaya, dates, raisins) or nuts.
- Fortify cooked cereal with dry milk for more calcium.
- Liven it up with spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice or cloves.
- Top it with fresh fruit of any kind.