Observe what goes on in the child-care setting. You should be able to answer "yes" to these questions:
- Do children, staff and volunteers wash and dry their hands before and after eating or participating in food activities?
- Do children wash and dry their hands after outdoor play, toileting, touching animals, sneezing or wiping their nose?
- Does each child have his or her own washcloth?
- Are child-care providers practicing appropriate sanitation and food-handling techniques?
- Are bottles and foods brough from home refrigerated, and if necessary, heated safely? (Hint: When you send food, always label it with your child's name. Transport perishable foods in an insulated sack with a cold pack.)