Chicken Tacos with Salsa Verde
Servings: 12 (2 tacos Per Serving)
|Serving Size 2 tacos|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|Calories 340||Calories from Fat 120|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||22%|
| ||Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
| ||Trans Fat 0g|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 30g||10%|
| ||Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
| ||Sugars 7g|| |
|Protein 24g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
These tacos are bursting with bold flavors. Remove the seeds and membrane of the jalapeño if your family prefers a milder flavor or just omit the jalapeño. Queso fresco is a mild, crumbly Mexican cheese that can be found in many major supermarkets. If you can’t find it, feta is a good substitute.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 12 thighs)
- 1 ½ tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, sliced into thin rings, optional
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups salsa verde (green tomatillo salsa), divided
- ½ cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, optional
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt and pepper. Rub mixture evenly over chicken thighs. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken; cook 3 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer to a 5-or 6-quart slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- Heat remaining ½ tablespoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, jalapeno and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown. Transfer to slow cooker. Add 2 cups salsa and broth. Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours or until chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove chicken to a large bowl using a slotted spoon; shred with 2 forks.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions. Fill each tortilla with about ¼ cup chicken mixture, 1 teaspoon cheese, 1 teaspoon salsa and ½ teaspoon cilantro. Serve with lime wedges if desired.
Reviewed June 2013