Post-Season Pesto Pizza
Servings: 11 (1 Slice Per Serving)
|Serving Size 1 Slice|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g|| |
| ||Saturated Fat 4g|| |
|Sodium 530mg|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 34g|| |
| ||Dietary Fiber 3g|| |
|Protein 20g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Post-Season Pesto Pizza is bursting with flavor thanks to two ingredients: caramelized onions and basil pesto. This recipe is also versatile — you can use the ingredients and layer them on two 16-ounce Italian bread loaves versus the two pizza crusts.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1½ to 2 pounds onions
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
One 6-ounce bag baby spinach
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup prepared basil pesto
Two 12-inch pre-made, thin pizza crusts
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, baked and thinly sliced widthwise*
8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese slices
- Peel the onions, cut in half lengthwise, and slice into very thin, ⅛-inch half-moons.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized (they'll be very soft and golden brown), about 30 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and spinach and cook until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, spread the pesto evenly over the two pizza crusts. Top evenly with the onion mixture. Arrange the chicken over the onion mixture; then place the cheese slices evenly on top.
- Bake according to package directions until the cheese melts, 8 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
*To bake the chicken, place in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake at 350ºF until the chicken is no longer pink, 35 minutes.