Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Spinach Strata
Servings: 9 (1/9 of casserole Per Serving)
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 45
|Serving Size 1/9 of casserole|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g|| |
| ||Saturated Fat 7g|| |
|Cholesterol 30mg|| |
|Sodium 810mg|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 23g|| |
| ||Dietary Fiber 4g|| |
|Protein 21g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Serve this colorful, Southwestern-inspired, delicious casserole for breakfast — and enjoy the leftovers cold the next day. Just don't tell anyone that you've added so many healthy touches — whole-grain bread, spinach and red peppers!
Non-stick cooking spray
6 slices hearty whole-grain bread, cut into cubes
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed out
1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped, or 1 red bell pepper, roasted and chopped
1½ cups (6 ounces) Mexican/taco flavored cheese or sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups non-fat milk
1 carton (8 ounces) egg substitute
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
- Layer the bread in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish coated with the non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with the spinach, red peppers and cheese.
- Combine the non-fat milk, egg substitute, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper and salt in a large bowl. Pour over the bread mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 9 for breakfast or 12 as a side dish. Hands-on time: 20 minutes; cooking time: 45 minutes; standing time: 4 hours or overnight.
For flavor versatility, replace red peppers with 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced; for a heartier version, add 1 pound turkey sausage, cooked and drained.