Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Servings: 6 (1.5 Cups Soup + 5 Croutons Per Serving)
|Serving Size 1.5 Cups Soup + 5 Croutons|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|Calories 195||Calories from Fat 63|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||10%|
| ||Saturated Fat 1g||8%|
| ||Trans Fat 0g|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||8%|
| ||Dietary Fiber 7g||30%|
| ||Sugars 15g|| |
|Protein 9g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
This classic combo is tasty, simple and satisfying. Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar on top for extra flavor.
6 pounds tomatoes, cut in half
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 yellow onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups fresh basil leaves, chopped
3-4 cups water
Balsamic vinegar, to taste
2 slices 2% cheddar cheese
2 slices whole grain bread
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mist tomatoes with cooking spray, arrange on baking sheet skin side down, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 45 minutes.
- In large pot, sauté onions, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and olive oil for 5 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes, fresh basil, water, salt and pepper to the pot. Puree the mixture with a hand blender until semi-smooth.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place cheese on bread, put on baking sheet, broil for 5 minutes until cheese bubbles/bread is toasted and cut into 1-inch bites.
- Serve soup with drizzle of balsamic vinegar and cheese croutons on top.
Optional topping: fresh chopped basil