Have It Your Way Chili
Servings: 6 (1.5 Cups Per Serving)
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 30
|Serving Size 1.5 Cups|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g|| |
| ||Saturated Fat 4.5g|| |
|Cholesterol 35mg|| |
|Sodium 540mg|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 28g|| |
| ||Dietary Fiber 8g|| |
|Protein 23g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
This have-it-your-way chili can be made vegetarian, with ground turkey or with ground beef. Enjoy the slightly sweet flavor added by the carrot.
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 pound extra-lean ground beef or extra-lean ground turkey, or 1 10-ounce package frozen meatless crumbles, thawed
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, scrubbed and sliced thinly
1 15 ½-ounce can dark or light kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 14 ½-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 green onions, sliced thinly, optional
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
½ cup fat-free sour cream
- Combine the oil, meat (or turkey or meatless crumbles), onion and garlic in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir until the onion is wilted and the meat is lightly browned. About 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the optional ones and the sour cream. Stir well, cover and reduce heat; simmer gently for 20 minutes. Adjust the chili powder, oregano and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with green onions, cilantro and/or sour cream.
Double the batch and freeze in individual portions or family-size batches.