Fresh Strawberry Glacé Pie
Servings: 8 (1 Slice Per Serving)
|Serving Size 1 Slice|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g|| |
| ||Saturated Fat 1.5g|| |
|Cholesterol 0mg|| |
|Sodium 110mg|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 36g|| |
| ||Dietary Fiber 2g|| |
|Protein 1g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Across California and across the country, gardeners gather strawberries at their peak of perfection. And there is no better way to showcase nature's bounty than in a strawberry pie. If you don't have your own strawberry patch, check out a u-pick patch or a farmers' market for the most flavorful berries.
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust
5 cups whole strawberries, washed and hulled (reserve 1 cup for glaze)
⅔ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup nonfat whipped topping
- Line the baked pie crust with select strawberries placed large end down.
- For the glaze, crush the remaining 1 cup of strawberries with a fork or in a food processor or blender.
- Combine the strawberries and sugar in a 2-quart saucepan. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat; simmer 1 minute.
- Mix ¾ cup cold water and the cornstarch until smooth; gradually add to the hot strawberry mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon juice; cool slightly.
- Spoon the glaze over berries. Gently shake the pan to evenly distribute the glaze. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Top each serving with whipped topping. Serve chilled.
You will need about 20 to 25 medium-size strawberries to place in the pan. Hull the strawberries (remove the green leaves and stem) just before using to keep them at their freshest.