Better Mac and Cheese
Servings: 4 (1 Cup Per Serving)
|Serving Size 1 Cup|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g|| |
| ||Saturated Fat 2.5g|| |
| ||Trans Fat 0g|| |
|Cholesterol 10mg|| |
|Sodium 290mg|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 53g|| |
| ||Dietary Fiber 6g|| |
| ||Sugars 2g|| |
|Protein 13g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Who doesn't love comfort food like good old Mac 'n Cheese? This recipe has a surprise ingredient.
8 ounces whole grain macaroni noodles, uncooked
1 tablespoon trans-fat free butter spread
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
10 ounce bag (2 cups) cubed frozen butternut squash, thawed
2 ounces (½ cup packed) reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Sea salt, to taste
- Boil noodles according to directions. Drain and reserve 2 cups pasta water.
- In pot over medium heat cook butter spread with flour for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in 1 cup pasta water.
- Add squash and cook/mash until smooth. (Note: Add more pasta water as needed for a smooth cheese-like consistency.)
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Fold in cooked noodles until combined and season with salt.