Potato and Kale Soup
Servings: 10 (1 Cup Per Serving)
|Serving Size 1 Cup|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3.5g|| |
| ||Saturated Fat 0g|| |
| ||Trans Fat 0g|| |
|Cholesterol 0mg|| |
|Sodium 190mg|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 31g|| |
| ||Dietary Fiber 6g|| |
| ||Sugars 4g|| |
|Protein 5g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Potatoes are healthy comfort food: One potato has more fiber than a bowl of oatmeal and more potassium than a banana. Kale is the super star of vegetables: It contains ACE (three healthy antioxidants), blood builders such as iron and vitamin K, and bone builders such as calcium and magnesium. Put them together for this hearty soup that is perfect for a family dinner.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
1½ cups chopped carrots (about 3 carrots)
1½ cups chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
1 can (15 ounce) white beans, rinsed & drained
6 cups cubed (about 1-inch pieces) potatoes
4 cups chopped kale (about 1 bunch)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
4 cups water
6 ounces low-fat Greek yogurt
½ cup chopped fresh chives
- Sauté oil, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, fennel seeds, salt and pepper for 8 minutes.
- Puree beans until smooth and stir into veggie mixture.
- Add in potatoes, kale, broth and water.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- With hand blender, puree 50 percent of the soup until smooth.
- Top each serving with dollop of yogurt and chopped chives.
Leave skins on for 1g+ more fiber per potato than peeling them.
Mirepoix is the French term for cooking onions, carrots and celery. It makes a great, flavorful base for soup.
Fennel seeds (a spice often found in Italian sausage) add licorice-like sweetness and may aid in digestion and freshen breath.
The secret ingredient — pureed white beans — add creaminess plus fiber and protein.
Topping with yogurt gives the feel of sour cream on baked potato.
See the video for this recipe »