Mike's Sicilian Cauliflower
Servings: 9 (1 Cup Per Serving)
|Serving Size 1 Cup|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g|| |
| ||Saturated Fat 2g|| |
| ||Trans Fat 0g|| |
|Cholesterol 30mg|| |
|Sodium 280mg|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 11g|| |
| ||Dietary Fiber 2g|| |
| ||Sugars 5g|| |
|Protein 14g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Mike may make the best pizza in New York City, but he has an even bigger secret … he can make cauliflower taste better than pasta! We begged him for the recipe and now we can't keep cooking enough to feed our friends and family because it's that good. The lowly cauliflower isn't too popular because most people don't know how to cook it, but with this easy, mouth-watering recipe, your family will reap the nutritional benefits of this super veggie. Cauliflower is not only low in saturated fat and cholesterol, but it is also a good source of protein, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium and phosphorous, and an even greater source of dietary fiber, vitamin C and K, vitamin B6, folate, potassium, manganese and pantothenic acid.
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups Vidalia onions, diced
1 pound crushed tomatoes, canned, low sodium
1 cup vegetable broth, low sodium, or water (if you don't have the broth)
1 large head of cauliflower, broken into florets
1 pound ground beef, 85% lean
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh basil
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- In large saucepan over medium heat, cook olive oil and garlic for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, and cauliflower florets. Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, brown ground beef, drain fat and set aside.
- Once cauliflower is ready (if you can place a fork through it you know it is done), add browned ground beef, and fresh herbs. Stir and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Scoop one serving into individual bowls and top with fresh Parmesan cheese.