Brown Rice Risotto with Shrimp
Servings: 6 (1 Cup Per Serving)
|Serving Size 1 Cup|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g|| |
| ||Saturated Fat 2g|| |
| ||Trans Fat 0g|| |
|Cholesterol 120mg|| |
|Sodium 330mg|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 29g|| |
| ||Dietary Fiber 2g|| |
| ||Sugars 1g|| |
|Protein 22g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
This hardy and healthy whole grain risotto is protein packed and loaded with calcium and iron, too! There are so many flavors in this delicious recipe that your family will enjoy.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup short grain brown rice, dry
2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
¼ teaspoon saffron
1 pound shrimp, raw
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic. Add rice and cook quickly for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add ½ cup vegetable broth to brown rice and then add rosemary, parsley, and saffron. Mix well.
- Cover and gently simmer. Gradually add the rest of the broth as liquid is absorbed (rice should be tender, about 30 minutes).
- While waiting for the rice, bring one quart of water to a boil and cook shrimp until pink.
- Add ¼ cup cheese a few minutes before rice is done. When cheese is melted through, remove from heat.
- Add the shrimp to the rice and toss until mixed evenly.
- Top with remaining cheese and serve.