Polynesian Shrimp Tacos
Servings: 6 (2 Tacos Per Serving)
|Serving Size 2 Tacos|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|Calories 380||Calories from Fat 120|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||20%|
| ||Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
| ||Trans Fat 0g|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||14%|
| ||Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
| ||Sugars 8g|| |
|Protein 27g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Taco filling is typically made with ground meat … but it doesn't have to be. For this recipe, we combine the convenience of frozen shrimp with the usual taco seasonings — chili powder, cumin, garlic, and salsa, and then toss in some unlikely ingredients: black beans and crushed pineapple. The result is a slightly sweet, fiber-filled dinner that's sure to make everyone smile! If you have young children and they happen to be missing a few front teeth, you may want to switch from crunchy taco shells to soft flour or corn tortillas.
12 taco shells
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound frozen small cooked shrimp, thawed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1½ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
One 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
½ cup salsa
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional Toppings: diced avocado, chopped tomato, light sour cream, shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the taco shells according to package directions and set aside.
- While the shells are baking, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder and cook until the shrimp are warmed through, about 1 minute (if using fresh shrimp, cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in the beans, corn, pineapple, and salsa and heat through, about 2 minutes. Add the cheese and heat until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a slotted spoon to remove any excess liquid, place a generous ½ cup of the shrimp mixture into each taco shell. Serve with optional toppings.