Polynesian Shrimp Tacos
Servings: 6 (2 Tacos Per Serving)
|Serving Size 2 Tacos|
| || || || |
|Amount per serving|
|Calories 380||Calories from Fat 120|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||20%|
| ||Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
| ||Trans Fat 0g|| |
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||14%|
| ||Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
| ||Sugars 8g|| |
|Protein 27g|| |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Taco filling is typically made with ground meat, but it doesn't have to be. For this recipe, we combine the convenience of frozen shrimp with the usual taco seasonings — chili powder, cumin, garlic and salsa — and then toss in some unlikely ingredients: black beans and crushed pineapple. The result is a slightly sweet, fiber-filled dinner that's sure to make everyone smile. If you have young children and they happen to be missing a few front teeth, you may want to switch from crunchy taco shells to soft flour or corn tortillas.
12 taco shells
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound frozen small cooked shrimp, thawed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1½ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
½ cup salsa
1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional toppings: diced avocado, chopped tomato, light sour cream, shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the taco shells according to package directions and set aside.
- While the shells are baking, heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder and cook until the shrimp are warmed through, about 1 minute (if using fresh shrimp, cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in the beans, corn, pineapple and salsa, and heat through, about 2 minutes. Add the cheese and heat until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a slotted spoon to remove any excess liquid, place a generous ½ cup of the shrimp mixture into each taco shell. Serve with optional toppings.