Eating Out with Kids
Topics: Fast Food
, Healthy Weight
, Picky Eaters
, Meal Planning
Use smart-eating strategies: plan ahead, consider the menu and choose foods carefully to keep you on your plan.
- Choose a restaurant that caters to children and has a healthy children's menu that includes smaller portion sizes and meals designed to provide ample nourishment for smaller bodies.
- For kids' meals, opt for milk as a beverage and fruit for dessert.
- Order kids plain foods with sauce on the side.
- Substitute healthier "sides" in place of fries, like carrots or apple slices.
- Choose two or three suitable menu items, then let your child pick one.
- Let kids order their familiar favorites when they eat out. For new foods, offer a bite or two from your order.
- Calcium is important at all ages, but especially for growing bones. To get more calcium, drink low-fat or fat-free white or chocolate milk or add a slice of cheese to their sandwich. Choose dairy-based treats like yogurt, a milkshake or frozen dairy dessert.
Download a handout with 30 helpful tips on keeping to a healthful diet when eating away from home.