Diet books routinely top the best-seller lists, and new diet plans come out seemingly every day. To help you understand which diets are reasonable and which should be avoided, current and former Academy spokespeople have reviewed a number of diet books, asking such questions as:
- What claims does the author make?
- What does his or her diet plan entail?
- Are there nutritional weaknesses in the plan? Strengths?
- What’s the registered dietitian’s bottom-line assessment of the book?
As registered dietitians, Academy spokespeople have the knowledge and expertise to help decipher fact from fad in order to help you develop a healthy eating plan that is right for you.
- The 100
By Jorge Cruise Reviewed by Heather Mangieri, MS, RDN, CSSD
- The Fast Diet
By Dr. Michael Mosely and Mimi Spencer; Reviewed by Angela Lemond, RDN, CSP, LD
- Close Enough Nutrition
By Judy Webb Brewster; Reviewed by Deborah Beauvais, RDN, SNS
- The Zen Diet Revolution: The Mindful Path to Permanent Weight Loss
By Martin and Philippa Faulks; Reviewed by Marjorie Nolan Cohn, MS, RD, CDN
- Eat Less Salt
By the American Heart Association; Reviewed by Joan Salge Blake, MS, RD, LDN
- The Complete Guide to Naturally Gluten-Free Foods
Written by Olivia Dupin; Reviewed by Jeannie Gazzaniga-Moloo PhD, MS, RD
- Wheat Belly
Written by William Davis; Reviewed by Reviewed by Kristi King, MPH, RD, CNSC, LD
- The 4 Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat–Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman
Written by Timothy Ferriss; Reviewed by Heather R. Mangieri, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN
- The 17 Day Diet
Written by Mike Moreno, MD; Reviewed by Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD, CSSD
- The Amen Solution
Written by Daniel G. Amen, MD; Reviewed by Angela Ginn, RD, LDN, CDE
- Cinch! Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds and Lose Inches
Written by Cynthia Sass, MPH, RD; Reviewed by Judy Caplan, MS, RD
- Clean & Lean Diet
Written by James Duigan; Reviewed by Dee Sandquist, MS, RD, LD, CDE
- Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark and Live Life Like You Mean It!
Written by Kris Carr; Reviewed by Marjorie Nolan, MS, RD, CDN, ACSM-HFS
- The Dukan Diet
Written by Dr. Pierre Dukan; Reviewed by Karen Ansel, MS, RD, CDN
- Full: A Life without Dieting
Written by Michael A. Snyder, MD, FACS; Reviewed by Jessica Crandall RD, CDE
- The Game On! Diet
Written by Krista Vernoff and Az Ferguson; Reviewed by Joy Dubost, PhD, RD
- Healthy Eating for Lower Blood Pressure
Written by Paul Gayler with Gemma Heiser; Reviewed by Constance Brown-Riggs, MSEd, RD, CDE, CDN
- The Italian Diet
Written by Gino D’Acampo; Reviewed by Melinda Johnson, MS, RD
- Living Skinny in Fat Genes: The Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Feel Great
Written by Felicia Stoler, RD, DCN, MS; Reviewed by Melissa Joy Dobbins, MS, RD, LDN, CDE
- The New Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, More Energy in Just 10 Days
Written by Connie Guttersen, PhD, RD; Reviewed by Vandana R. Sheth, RD, CDE
- Prevent a Second Heart Attack
Written by Janet Bond Brill, PhD, RD, LDN; Reviewed by Ximena Jimenez, MS, RD, LDN