Recipe by Roberta L. Duyff, MS, RDN, FAND, CFCS
Traditional German potato salad gets adopted with Southern charm! Made with beta carotene-rich sweet potatoes and vitamin C-rich mandarin oranges, this sweet and nourishing salad not only makes a flavorful and safe picnic dish, but also complements roasted turkey, chicken or pork, or baked ham at the family table.
3 medium (about 1 pound) sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in ½-inch cubes
¼ cup water
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
½ cup thinly-sliced celery
½ cup chopped green or red bell pepper
½ cup dried cranberries
2 medium green onions, chopped
2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger root
¼ cup light honey mustard dressing
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
⅛ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
½ cup chopped pecans, toasted*
- Place the sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe container; add water. Cover; microwave on medium-high for 8 to 10 minutes until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, not mushy. Drain; chill.
- Meanwhile, put the mandarin oranges, celery, bell pepper, cranberries, green onions and ginger root in a medium bowl. Add the sweet potatoes; toss gently.
- Pour the honey-mustard dressing over the sweet potato mixture. Gently combine, coating the ingredients with dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, mix in the pecans.
- Toast the pecans in a small, heavy dry skillet over medium heat, shaking the skillet frequently for 1 to 2 minutes, to release the flavorful oils.
Serves 8 (Serving size: ¾ cup)
Calories: 150; Calories from fat: 50; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 0.5g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 170mg; Total carbohydrate: 24g; Dietary fiber: 4g; Sugars: 13g; Protein: 2g