Tip of the Day
Packing a Safe Diaper Bag
Knowing you have everything you need for your baby before leaving the house can take a great deal of effort. Remembering bottles, diapers and wipes is crucial, but so is packing all your supplies safely.
- Pack unopened jars of commercial baby food.
- Consider using products that don’t require refrigeration, such as ready-to-feed formula in prepackaged bottles or powdered formula. Just pre-measure water and powdered formula into separate containers and mix.
- Keep perishable food, such as bottles of breast milk and prepared infant formula well chilled. Pack them in an insulated container with ice packs and refrigerate when you arrive at your destination.
- Pack spoons and forks in a separate container or small bag so they remain clean before feeding.
- Pack hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes to clean hands before making a bottle, feeding your baby or after changing a diaper.
- Keep food separate from soiled diapers and don’t put food and bottles in a diaper bag that’s frequently exposed to soiled diapers.
For more information on the nutrition of your baby, consult a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area and visit our Nutrition for Infants and Toddlers section.