Tip of the Day
Avoid a New Year’s Weight Gain Hangover
If you're counting calories, keep in mind as you head out for New Year’s revelry tomorrow night: alcohol contains calories just like food does. So drink in moderation and choose wisely with this guide to alcoholic beverages and average calorie contents:
- Beer (regular, 12 oz.): 149 calories
- Beer (light, 12 oz.): 110 calories
- Wine (dry, 5 oz.): 100 calories
- Champagne (4 oz.): 84 calories
- Wine cooler (12 oz.): 180 calories
- Traditional Martini (2.25 oz.): 124 calories
- Cosmopolitan (2.75 oz.): 146 calories
- Margarita (4 oz.): 168 calories
- Distilled spirits (80-proof, 1.5 oz.): 98 calories
It's also important to keep in mind that mixers can add calories, too.
For more information about alcohol in moderation, consult a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area and review What Is Considered One Serving of Alcohol? in our Nutrition Q&A section.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed September 2013