Tip of the Day
Joy to the Leftovers
No matter what the holiday, food is an important part of almost any celebration. Eating leftovers from a holiday meal is often as traditional as the meal itself. Follow these simple steps to safely enjoy leftovers and reduce the risk of food poisoning:
- Store leftovers in shallow containers (two inches deep or less).
- Refrigerate/freeze leftovers within two hours of cooking the food.
- Remove turkey from the bone and store it separately from the stuffing and gravy. Before refrigerating, slice breast meat. Legs and wings may be left whole.
- Eat turkey and stuffing within three to four days and gravy within two days.
- Reheat leftovers to 165°F.
- When in doubt, throw it out!
For more tips on how to properly store leftovers, visit www.HomeFoodSafety.org.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed September 2013