Tip of the Day
Family Health and Fitness Day USA
Tomorrow is Family Health and Fitness Day USA, designed to encourage physical activity for the entire family.
Parents are children's biggest influencers when it comes to healthy behaviors, so be the great role models your kids deserve. Set a goal of 30 minutes of moderate activity a day for adults and 60 minutes for kids.
- Plan regular family activities together and make them a priority.
- Rake the leaves and then play in them!
- Take advantage of local parks and spend an hour chasing each other, pushing each other on the swings and climbing the park equipment.
- Encourage children to take up an after-school sport.
- Make going for a walk, run or bike ride together a scheduled event.
- Go hiking and have the kids tell you 10 points of natural interest to enjoy.
- Take up a new hobby together, like tennis or hiking.
- Set up neighborhood contests like jump rope, hula hoop or hopscotch.
- Organize community kickball, soccer or softball games or relay races.
- When it's raining, stay inside, turn on some music and have a dance party.
For more family fitness ideas, consult a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area and visit our Family Exercise page.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed July 2013