Tip of the Day
Mexican Menu Know-How
Mexican food and its Tex-Mex spin off are among America's favorite ethnic foods. If you aren't careful with your choices, Mexican or Tex-Mex foods can be high in fat and sodium. As with all foods, enjoy those with more fat, cholesterol and sodium less frequently with some Mexican menu know-how:
Clues to less fat and perhaps calories:
- Asada (grilled)
- Mole sauce (chile-chocolate sauce)
- Salsa verde (green chile sauce)
- Tomato sauce, picante
- Veracruz-style (tomato sauce)
- With chiles
- Served with soft tortillas
Clues to more fat and perhaps calories:
- Chorizo (Mexican sausage)
- Smothered in cheese sauce
- Chile con queso
- Served in a crisp tortilla bowl.
For more information on navigating ethnic cuisine, consult a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area and learn more about Culture and Traditions.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed May 2013