Tip of the Day
Shop Around for a Quality Grocery Store
No matter where you shop for your food, always keep an eye out for the following store qualities:
- The store or market should be clean. Display cases, shelves and the floor should be clean at all times. The store should also not have any unpleasant odor.
- Produce, meat, poultry, fish and dairy foods should show qualities of freshness.
- Refrigerated cases should be cold. Food should be frozen solid in freezer compartments.
- Bulk bins, salad bars and other self-serve areas should be clean and properly covered.
- Workers handling raw and unpackaged food should wear disposable gloves and change them after handling nonfood items and again after handling raw food.
For more information on being a savvy shopper, consult a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area and visit our Food Shopping and Meal Planning section.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed May 2013