Tip of the Day
Going Vegetarian or Vegan
With just a few changes, many recipes can be made vegetarian or vegan – even those containing eggs and dairy products.
Instead of meat, poultry or fish:
- In casseroles, stews, soups, lasagna and chili substitute cooked or canned beans for meat, red lentils in spaghetti sauce or stuffed cabbage rolls, or refried beans in burritos or tacos.
- When grilling, cube and skewer firm tofu and tempeh instead of meat with vegetables.
Instead of eggs:
- In place of one egg in breads, muffins or pancakes, use half of a mashed banana or a fourth cup of pureed fruit, applesauce or canned pureed pumpkin.
Instead of dairy foods:
- Use soy margarine in place of butter or margarines.
- In smoothies, blend fruit with soft tofu, soy beverages or soy yogurt.
- Use crumbled tofu to replace ricotta cheeses in recipes like lasagna.
To learn more about adapting to a vegetarian eating plan, consult a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area and visit our Vegetarian Lifestyle page.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed May 2013