Tip of the Day
This weekend is Alcohol-Free Weekend, which invites all Americans to engage in three alcohol-free days.
If you're taking part in Alcohol-Free Weekend, don't forget about the alcohol you use while cooking. Every drop counts so consider these substitutions:
- In a recipe that calls for ¼ cup or more of port wine, rum, brandy or sweet sherry, use an equal amount of apple juice plus 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- In soups, stews and other cooked dishes that call for ¼ cup or more of beer, use an equal amount of non-alcoholic beer, apple cider or broth.
- In a recipe that calls for 2 tablespoons of almond-flavored liqueur, use ¼ to ½ teaspoons of almond extract.
- In a recipe that calls for 2 tablespoons of bourbon, use 1 to 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- In a recipe that calls for 2 tablespoons of orange-flavored liqueur, use 2 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate.
To learn more about alcohol serving sizes and lowering or eliminating your alcohol consumption, consult a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area and visit our Nutrition Q & A page.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed February 2013