Recipe by Roberta L. Duyff, MS, RD, FADA, CFCS
Popular in Central Asia — Bangladesh, India and Pakistan — tandoori chicken is marinated in yogurt sauce with a unique blend of aromatic spices and turmeric, which gives the rich yellow color. In this recipe, marinated chicken is threaded on skewers, grilled, then served as an appetizer or main dish. Complement chicken tandoori with naan, an Indian flatbread, Cucumber-Mint Raita recipe, and your choice of vegetables and fruit.
3 boneless chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups shredded lettuce
2 limes, cut in wedges
1/2 cup chopped mint leaves, for garnish
- Cut chicken in 1 1/2-inch pieces. Place in a medium bowl.
- Combine the yogurt and lime juice in a small bowl with ginger, turmeric, coriander, cumin, cardamom, cayenne pepper, cloves and salt. Stir to mix well. Pour yogurt mixture over the chicken and toss gently with a large spoon to coat chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight to marinate chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade; discard remaining marinade. Thread chicken on skewers and brush with vegetable oil.
- Place chicken skewers on medium-high grill. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, turning to cook thoroughly.
- To serve, arrange grilled tandoori chicken skewers over lettuce. Garnish with lime wedges (to squeeze over chicken) and mint leaves.
Calories: 270; Calories from fat: 110
Total fat: 12g; Saturated fat: 2g; Trans fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 85mg; Sodium 170mg
Total carbohydrate: 7g; Dietary fiber: 1g; Sugars: 3g