Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day
Build a Personalized Eating Plan!
We all have unique lifestyles, traditions and health concerns. Not to mention tastes! So if you're ready to eat right, don't settle for a one-size-fits-all fad diet.
March is National Nutrition Month®, and this year's "Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day" theme highlights that building a personalized eating plan is key to improved health. Set yourself up for success by working with a registered dietitian to build an eating plan tailored just for you.
Here is a quick guide to eating right from the food and nutrition experts at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Personalize your eating style: The easiest way to get the nutrients your body needs is to eat healthy foods you enjoy. Finding good-for-you foods that please your palette makes eating healthfully special and exciting.
- Eat for your lifestyle: Athletic, vegetarian/vegan, corporate and family lifestyles all have special nutritional needs, but eating right can be easy and tasty if you pay attention to those foods that best help get you through the day.
- Incorporate cultural and ethnic traditions: Foods from around the globe often incorporate an abundance of unique, flavorful and nourishing ingredients. Keep traditions alive and bring the world to your family's table.
- Keep health concerns in mind: A healthful eating plan can help prevent and treat a variety of health concerns. With modification and moderation, you can enjoy your favorite foods while meeting your nutritional needs and health goals.
- Make MyPlate your plate: Fill half of your plate with your favorite fruits and vegetables; keep protein portions lean and about three ounces; make at least half of your grain choices whole grains; and be sure to include low-fat or fat-free dairy products like milk and yogurt.
Visit www.EatRight.org/NNM for a variety of helpful tips, games and education resources, all designed to spread the message of good nutrition.
Reviewed January 2013