Tip of the Day
Your Best Defense
A strong immune system is one of your best defenses against infections from bacteria, viruses and other health problems like arthritis and certain types of cancer. Eating a variety of nutrient-rich foods every day will give your body the nutrition it needs to help protect against illness and reduce your risk of chronic disease.
By choosing foods that provide the most nutrients per calorie, you can create healthy habits that will benefit your health now and for the rest of your life:
- Start each day with a healthy breakfast that includes whole grains and foods packed with calcium, vitamin D and vitamin C.
- Replace refined grains with whole grains like whole-grain breads, cereals and brown rice.
- Pre-washed salad greens and pre-cut vegetables make great quick meals or snacks.
- Choose fresh, frozen or canned whole fruit for snacks and desserts.
- Don’t forget beans, which are rich in fiber, folate and flavanoids.
To learn more about the vitamins and nutrients that are essential to a healthful eating plan, consult a registered dietitian in your area and visit our Vitamins and Nutrients page.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed January 2013