Tip of the Day
Eating Out with Kids
Eating at a restaurant does not have to interrupt a healthy eating plan for you or your child. Plan ahead by reviewing the menu online and choose foods to ensure your child’s meal is as healthy as it would be at home.
- Choose a restaurant that caters to children and has a healthy children's menu that includes smaller portion sizes and meals designed to provide ample nourishment for smaller bodies.
- For kids' meals, opt for low-fat milk as a beverage and fruit for dessert.
- Order plain foods with sauce on the side.
- Substitute healthier "sides" in place of fries, like carrots or apple slices.
- Choose two or three suitable menu items, then let your child pick one.
- Let kids order their familiar favorites when they eat out. For new foods, offer a bite or two from your order.
For more information on nutrition for your children, consult a registered dietitian in your area and learn more at www.kidseatright.org.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed December 2012