Tip of the Day
Control Your Restaurant Portions
If restaurant portions are too big for you, remember that you have choices when dining out. You can control your portions and calories by what you order and having a plan for what happens when your food is served.
- Before you order, ask yourself, “How hungry am I?”
- Order before everyone else does so you won’t be influenced by their orders.
- Many restaurants now offer different sizes of entrée meals called appetizer portions or lunch portions.
- Split an entrée with someone.
- Order an appetizer and a salad (with light or non-fat dressing) instead of a full entrée.
- Plan on tonight’s dinner being tomorrow’s lunch. As soon as your meal comes, ask your server to pack up half to go.
- Pass on all-you-can-eat specials, buffets and unlimited salad and food bars if you tend to eat too much.
For more information on how to lead a healthier lifestyle when dining out, consult a registered dietitian and visit our Eating Out section.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!
Reviewed November 2012