Tip of the Day
Eight Days of Celebration
Celebrating the eight days of Hanukkah doesn't mean giving up healthy eating for eight days. Even the oldest of holiday customs can be made healthier without sacrificing tradition.
- Add shredded root vegetables like parsnips and carrots to your latkes.
- Use egg whites or egg substitutes to hold latkes together.
- Serve low-fat or fat-free sour cream with latkes.
- Trim excess fat from briskets and cook and serve with vegetables such as carrots, celery and onions.
- With your children, find a light butter cookie recipe and bake the cookies together.
- Use nonfat and low-fat cheese and dairy when possible in favorites like cheese blintzes.
For more information about healthful traditional meals, consult a registered dietitian in your area and visit our Holiday Nutrition section.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!