Tip of the Day
Just because farmers markets and fresh produce stands have closed up shop for the winter months doesn't mean the nutrition fruits and vegetables provide has to hibernate for the season. Your local freezer case offers a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to enjoy all year long and commercial quick freezing preserves freshness, flavor, color and nutrition.
- Pick frozen plain vegetables instead of those with low-fat sauces and check the Nutrition Facts for any added fat and calories.
- Choose unsweetened frozen fruits without added sugars. Serve it while only slightly thawed so the fruit keeps its shape.
- When buying frozen juice, make sure it is 100-percent juice.
- Think beyond peas and corn and enjoy frozen artichoke hearts, bell peppers, blueberries, mangos and edamame.
- Take advantage of the convenience and buy frozen sliced stir-fry vegetables.
For additional food and nutrition tips, visit our Eat Right Nutrition Tips.