Tip of the Day
Seven Snacking Strategies for Kids
Snacks are a necessary and important part of a healthy eating plan for adolescents and teens. Here are tips to help your kids make smart snack choices:
- Have your child give you a variety of foods he or she enjoys, and pick a few from each food group to have in the house.
- Give your kids a tour of the kitchen so they know where you keep their favorite snacks.
- Keep fresh fruit where kids can see and reach it.
- Wash and cut fruit and vegetables so they are ready to grab and go.
- Use see-through containers so kids can see what's inside.
- Stock your pantry with the nutrient-rich foods front and center and the "sometimes" foods out of reach.
- Buy single-serve containers for eating on the run. Milk, raisins, apples and peanut butter, and cheese and crackers can be bought in individual packages. Or buy in bulk and make your own on-the-go packs.
For more information on how to lead a healthier lifestyle, consult a registered dietitian and visit KidsEatRight.org.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!