Tip of the Day
Good Things Come in Threes
Aside from serving as a crunchy snack, legumes, nuts and seeds offer healthy and nutritious benefits. Legumes have high protein content, and nuts and seeds offer a good source of vitamin E and essential fatty acids.
You might be wondering how you can consume four to five servings of legumes, nuts or seeds weekly. It is easy! A serving of beans (legumes) is just ½ cup, and a serving of nuts equals 1-ounce or one small handful.
Try some of these easy strategies:
- Snack on a handful of almonds.
- Sprinkle toasted walnuts onto your salad.
- Snack on fresh or roasted edamame.
- Pan-sear chickpeas for a crunchy snack.
- Opt for a spicy black bean burger or pinto burger.
- Add black beans to your favorite marinara sauce or whole-wheat pasta dish.
For more information on how to incorporate these nutrients into your eating plan, consult a registered dietitian and visit our Eat Right Nutrition Tips section.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!