Tip of the Day
Go Green in Your Kitchen
Looking for ways to be more eco-friendly in your home but not sure where to start? There are dozens of easy ways to save energy and money while minimizing waste.
- Run your dishwasher only when full. Scrape soiled dishes; don't rinse them.
- Choose the proper-size pots and pans for what you're cooking. Equipment that's too big uses more cooking water.
- Pre-heat your oven just before you use it and turn off when cooking is done.
- Turn off the lights when you leave the kitchen.
- Resist the urge to buy food you don't need. Buy only the amount you or your family will eat in a reasonable time period.
- Limit disposables. Look for products in smaller packaging or recyclable packaging, such as aluminum cans, steel cans, glass containers, and recyclable plastic and paperboard cartons. On plastic containers, look for the recycling symbol with a number in the center — lower numbers are recycled more easily.
For more information on how to minimize waste, visit our Lighten Your Carbon Food Print page or consult a registered dietitian in your area.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!