Tip of the Day
Love Fresh Fruit and Vegetables?
Do you take advantage of your local farmers' market? Even in large cities, farmers' markets provide an array of products and seasonal fruits and vegetables you can't find elsewhere like artisan cheeses and fresh or potted herbs.
Here are a few tips to make your farmers' market experience more enjoyable:
- Go early for the best selection.
- Always bring a clean grocery tote or two with you (frequently wash your totes in warm, soapy water or in the washing machine).
- Use separate bags for raw and cooked foods. Pay attention to food safety practices of the vendor.
- Be flexible with your purchases — the market changes with the season.
- Take time to talk to the vendors.
With all the fresh, healthy choices available, you can't go wrong. For information on how to eat more fruits and vegetables, visit our Eat Right Nutrition Tips section and consult a registered dietitian in your area.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!