Tip of the Day
Count the Ways Calcium Does Your Body Good
June is National Dairy Month, a great time to make sure you are getting the right amount of calcium needed to keep your bones and teeth strong.
It is recommended that most people eat three servings of dairy every day. Here are some easy ways to incorporate low-fat or fat-free dairy products into your meals:
- Top soups and salads with low-fat or fat-free cheese.
- Snack on cottage cheese or plain yogurt with fruit.
- Add low-fat cheese to your morning omelet or low-fat or fat-free milk to oatmeal.
- Enjoy a latte with low-fat or fat-free milk.
- Make a smoothie with low-fat or fat-free milk or yogurt and fresh fruit.
If you do not consume dairy, consume soy beverages that are fortified with calcium and vitamins A and D. Check for added sugars in soy beverages; many plain varieties use modest amounts of brown rice syrup, while flavored varieties such as vanilla and chocolate use significantly more added sugars.
To find out if you're eating enough calcium as well as learn how to incorporate more calcium into your eating plan, consult a registered dietitian in your area and visit our Calcium page.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!