Tip of the Day
How Do Your Grilling Habits Rate?
Mixing juices from raw meat with ready-to-eat foods is one of the leading causes of cross-contamination, which causes food poisoning. Improper grilling habits can make you and your family sick.
Next time you fire up the grill, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water before and throughout food preparation.
- Wash plates between uses or use separate plates: one for raw meat, poultry and seafood; and another for cooked and ready-to-eat foods.
- Clean grilling utensils with hot, soapy water.
- Scrub the grill with hot, soapy water before cooking.
- Use a food thermometer to check the doneness of meats and poultry.
For more information on how to reduce your risk of food poisoning, visit our Outdoor Dining section on www.HomeFoodSafety.org.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!