Tip of the Day
Spring for Peas!
Peas are conveniently available in dry, canned or frozen forms. A half-cup serving of cooked legumes supplies 4 to 10 grams of fiber. They are also packed with protein, other nutrients and phytonutrients, yet contain little fat and no cholesterol.
Here are some ideas for different types of peas:
- Black-eyed pea or cowpea: Southern dishes with ham or rice, bean cakes or curries
- Chickpea or garbanzo bean: Casseroles, cooked with couscous, soups, stews, salads or hummus
- Pigeon pea: Caribbean peas and rice
- Snow peas: Commonly eaten raw, directly from the pod
- Sugar snap peas: Stir-fry or salads
- Split pea: Soups
For tips on enjoying more fruits and vegetables, consult a registered dietitian and visit our Eat Right Nutrition Tips section.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!