Tip of the Day
Follow a Healthy Diet to Relieve IBS Symptoms
April is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Awareness Month, a great time to learn more about this gastrointestinal disorder and how your diet can help keep it under control. If you suffer from IBS, you may want to try these tips:
- Eat small, frequent meals.
- Chew your food thoroughly to aid digestion, and eat slowly so you don't swallow a lot of air, which might make you feel gassy.
- Avoid foods that cause too much gas or irritate your stomach.
- Drink more water to help prevent constipation.
- Watch what you drink. Alcohol and caffeine can stimulate your intestines, which may cause diarrhea. Artificial sweeteners containing sugar alcohols such as sorbitol, mannitol and xylitol may cause diarrhea too.
- Learn to manage your stress and identify problem foods and eating habits.
A registered dietitian can help you create an individualized approach to eating that will help manage IBS symptoms. For more information on controlling your IBS symptoms, visit the Irritable Bowel Syndrome page.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!