Tip of the Day
Revamp Your Plate
In an effort to eliminate the days of plates piled high with meat, potatoes and gravy, and little fruits or vegetables, USDA's MyPlate recommends that half your plate be filled with fruits and vegetables. Worried you can't adjust to this? Follow these simple tips for a healthier nutrition plan:
- Enjoy the foods you love, but eat in moderation.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make sure half your plate is fruits and vegetables; a quarter of your plate grains, preferably whole grains; and the last quarter of your plate is filled with lean protein.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat milk.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
- Compare the sodium in foods like soups, bread and frozen meals, and choose foods with lower numbers.
For more information on how to lead a healthier lifestyle, consult a registered dietitian in your area and visit our Nutrition Tips section.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!