Tip of the Day
It is important to make sure your refrigerator isn't hosting harmful bacteria that can cause foodborne illness. The best way to ensure your fridge is safe and germ-free is to create a regular cleaning schedule.
When cleaning your refrigerator, follow these simple tips:
- Make sure your refrigerator is set to 40°F or below, and the freezer set to 0°F or below (a thermometer should be placed on the center shelf of the refrigerator).
- Wipe up spills immediately. Clean surfaces with hot, soapy water and then rinse.
- Once a week, throw away perishable foods that should no longer be eaten.
- Place an opened box of baking soda on a shelf to reduce odors.
- Clean the exterior (especially the handles) with a soft cloth and mild liquid dishwashing detergent, as well as cleansers or polishes recommended for appliance cleaning.
- Several times a year, clean the condenser coil with a brush or vacuum cleaner to remove dirt, lint or other accumulations.
For more information on how to get your refrigerator up to the proper safety standards, check out our Refrigerator Safety tip sheet on www.HomeFoodSafety.org.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!