Tip of the Day
How to Avoid the Winter Funk
Scarce sunlight and shortened winter days seem to make everyone tired and yearning for the days of spring. Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as SAD or the "winter blues," is a real and serious condition.
The good news is you can avoid the cold weather funk:
- Stay hydrated by drinking more water. People are more susceptible to dehydration in cold weather.
- Find a hobby like reading or try do-it-yourself crafts.
- Take up a winter sport you've always been meaning to try like skiing, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing or ice skating.
- Rearrange your diet by adding more fruits and vegetables and monitoring portion sizes.
- Try going to bed earlier and waking up earlier.
For more information on how to lead a healthier lifestyle, consult a registered dietitian in your area and check out our Eat Right Nutrition Tips.
*Reminder: New name, same commitment to your nutritional health. The American Dietetic Association is now the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!